May 28, 2011

Which way now Bobby Frost?

One of these days you girls will start thinking about what you want to be when you grow up.  You'll have a long time to figure it out and I encourage you to go to where you're drawn.  Sometimes I think about it myself.  I guess I think about it all the time.  I love being a U.S. Marine, but there's something attractive about the freedom and opportunity on the other side of the fence.  One of my dreams is to open my own business.  Of course, I would start a business in a field that interested me, but thoughts sometimes go to money too.  The business grows huge, yada yada yada, your dad gets to own that Steerman (biplane) he's always wanted to fly.  What a dream: doing something you love and getting rich doing it.  What could be wrong with that?

What if the thing I love to do in no way makes a real difference in this world?  What if entertainment, gadgets, or other offerings I could produce, and the enrichment they could provide to people's lives, just isn't the kind of fulfillment I'm looking for (not that there's anything wrong with any of those)?  What if the job that changes the world for the better and fulfills my drive to make a difference is one I hate?  I'd be changing the world, right?  Maybe I'd make a ton of cash as well.  What could be wrong with that?

Happiness versus fulfillment.  Which path do I follow?  I don't make any claims that I could make it big or that I could make a huge difference in this world, but hopefully you get the point.

What a dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to add something? Please comment. I'm always looking for insight or criticism.