February 5, 2011

Courage Under Fire

Let me just tell you two that putting out “the vibe” will no longer be allowed once you turn 13.  I think a lot of things will change around that age.  It scares me, having you girls, especially being so close in age.  I know at some point you’ll start liking boys and wanting to do crazy things like driving cars and talking on the phone.  Maybe I’m overreacting.  Probably.

I just don’t want to lose you. I’m sure all dads go through feelings like this, especially with their daughters. I know I won’t “lose” you, but when you hit those teens and Mom and Dad are no longer cool to hang out with, well that’s going to be tough.  And again, there are boys.  So I’m scared. And there’s nothing I can do about it.

Since it’s inevitable, I guess there’s really no use worrying about it. Besides, what would I tell you, or one of my Marines, if you were faced with fear? I would tell you to be courageous.  I would tell you not to back down or give up just because something is scary or hard. I would tell you to do just the opposite: Let the face of adversity drive you harder to do better. Because there are many things in this life to be scared of, in some way or another.

Maybe I’ll take my own advice. Maybe you still have over a decade until these "problems" arise. Maybe I should focus on loving and teaching you in the best way I possibly can so when those years come, I know that you’ll make the right choices. Maybe I’ll go put on a sherbet-orange tuxedo and put out a vibe of my own… to scare away the boys. And probably everyone else too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to add something? Please comment. I'm always looking for insight or criticism.