February 12, 2011

Daddy Fan Club

I felt like I had my own fan club today.  Both of you decided that Daddy was the one to be with.  I’m not sure why, but I’m not going to complain.  Sometimes I feel bad for your mom on days like these, but she does get plenty of days when Daddy’s name is mud.  I love these days.  They erase any negative feelings I might be having.  It’s amazing how the look of your daughter can make you feel.  Not that today was a bad day, but a ray of sunshine on even the nicest of days is a welcome surprise.

After days like these, Joy, I wonder how we can get into the battles-royale that we do.  I realize you’re only two, but there’s something about the clash of our personalities that leads to a quickly elevating struggle.  Your mom says it’s because you love me so much; that since Daddy’s for fun and Mommy’s the more common enforcer, when Daddy has to take that role it hits you much harder.  She’s probably right.  She is very good at understanding human emotions.  And predicting the end of a movie.

There are certain things you need to learn, like listening and respect for authority (I guess I do understand what your Grandma and Grandpa were trying to say back then).  What I need to realize is that I need to pick my battles.  Those lessons are important, but you are still just two.  Your mom is much better at figuring out how to get you to do what we want, while making you think it was your idea.  Genius really. 

I like to think I’m pretty good at things, generally.  But this is one area where I struggle.  As you get older, I feel more and more humbled by our interactions.  I’m learning.  And I think you are as well.  I realize you are young and quite new to life.  Though I’m only 32, I’m beginning to realize how much I thought I knew, and how much there still is out there that I don’t know.  I hope we can learn some of these things together.  I look forward to it.  Especially after days like today.  There are few feelings out there that can surpass a willing hug from a daughter.  I don’t think there is anything else that can wipe clean any slate of frustrations so cleanly.

It makes me want to pray.

2 comments:

  1. Unconditional love. It's what God has for us and we have for our children. I praise God for you.

    ReplyDelete

Want to add something? Please comment. I'm always looking for insight or criticism.