February 9, 2011

I Was Running...

I am amazed at how much little kids trip and fall.  Sometimes it's hilarious (is that bad?), and other times it's sad. But what I'm really amazed at is not so much the frequency, but the reaction.  Of course, there are times when you fall and immediately start crying.  But there are so many times when there is absolutely no reaction.  You just get back up and keep running.

This is an important lesson to keep in mind because we all make mistakes at some point in our lives.  Wrong decisions, stupid words, or a clumsy step happen to us all.  What's important is how you react to it.  There are those who will simply never try again.  Why bother?  I got it wrong this time, I'll just do something else instead and spare myself the embarrassment.  Then there are those who get back up; those that realize their mistakes, learn from them, and start running again.

Sometimes dads need to remember this lesson too.  So let's get up and run together.

2 comments:

  1. You know, my daughter fell the other day. I think it was more traumatic for me than for her. She cried, we comforted her, and then she kept on running.

    You're right, there's a good lesson here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she kept running! I wanted to write about this for a little while, then the little one fell the other day too. You're right, it was definitely more traumatic for me than for her.

    ReplyDelete

Want to add something? Please comment. I'm always looking for insight or criticism.